Thursday, November 13, 2014

Veteran's Day Portrait

For this set of shots, I tried to emulate Yousef Karsh's style of portraiture, using heavy shadows and contrast with head shots and 2/3 body framing.  I took these pictures of a dear friend who served two tours in Iraq and Afghanistan.  I took the pictures against a black background and using a concentrated light I was able to highlight certain parts of the model.
 The first shot was taken sitting down and i decided to crop the image to draw attention to the face and eyes.  I sharpened the image to the details in the models face and I'm particularly fond of the emotion in the eyes.  With sticking to the style of Karsh, I decided to go b/w for all the images.  



This set I have used before with a different model however I like how the light passes through the blinds, casting rays of light on the models face.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the first two, that black background is a strong effect. I am really taken with the third one though. I have a lot of different interpretations running through my head with that one. He has a Stoic and masculine expression, but if you look closely at his eyes they seem full of emotion. With the uniform, he can be a warrior keeping watch or maybe just a father waiting for his kids to come home. The blinds being closed give a sense of looking into the unknown and facing whatever is coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (My removed comment was just for a typo edit.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent Maks.... Working with people kicks everything up a notch. Everything is harder and takes more work and intention.

    Well done.

    ReplyDelete