Sunday, November 30, 2014

All about the details...

This week was all about the details!  This top photo looks like a martini glass, but it is actually a tapered glass filled with water, ice, and a slice of lemon.  I illuminated the glass with a small flashlight held underneath it and came out with an effect I love!  The picture below is a close-up of the lemon being sliced.  I love the way it shows the juiciness of the lemon with all its segments in detail as well as the grains on the cutting board. The above photo does the same, but the effect with the light gives the lemon (and the glass) a certain glow...  I think the warm color of the lemon pops against the cool blues of the water and ice in the glass.
 
 

 
This is actually the same glass of water (pre lemon) shot from a different angle and converted to black and white.  The photo was a little off center, so I cropped the right edge.
 

I have a number of old perfume bottles at home and these are a few shots of them.  I love the way the light reflects off of the glass.  I was able to pump up some of the reflected colors  in the glass in Photoshop which better shows their beauty. 
 

I especially love how the blue bottle in the back reflects the two bottles in front of it...


 
This is a necklace of mine on top of a fur stole which belonged to my mothers Aunt Fern many years ago.  Aunt Fern was a glamorous woman in her day, and I think the photo captures the essence of her (although I am more likely to wear pearls with jeans).  I feathered out the edges to soften them up and draw the eye into the photo.  I like the texture of the fur paired with the smoothness of the pearls... 


2 comments:

  1. Lemons are pretty photogenic. I like the second one on the wood. The bottle shots are cool too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent work, Cynthia! You really understood the idea for this assignment. Your inventive play with glass, lemons, fur and pearls was perfect. You show such a good understanding of photographic thinking with your use of light and design. The macro project shines with this knowledge.

    Super!

    ReplyDelete