Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Maks Danilin

This week for portrait work I tried my best to work with natural light.  I enjoy the work of David Dreblin and how he combines portrait and landscape shots to create cohesive pictures.  I tried to emulate this style but instead of high rise towers and city shots I went for more of an urbex feel.

 The first shot was set along the East River as the sun was going down.  I like how the fading light of the sunset created a glow on the model, drawing attention to the face.  I cropped the shot considerably as well as adjusted the levels and saturation.
 This shot was taken in an abandoned building that happened to have a chunk of the roof missing which created a skylight.  Essentially the hole in the ceiling allowed a beam of light to come through which illuminated the model but left the rest of the surroundings in shadow.  I played with the levels and increased the saturation on the red coat to draw the eye.  I also decided to remove all color of the background to give it a more dramatic look.

 This shot was also taken in the abandoned building in front of an old cargo elevator that had been heavily graffitied. I like how the red in the spray paint matched the color of the coat which gave the picture cohesion.  I did increase the saturation of the coat as well as faded the background slightly to ensure the attention was on the model.

The last shot was also taken along the East River in Queens.  The sun was being blocked by the clouds and the light was scarce, however after playing with the levels I was able to highlight the models face.  I blurred the background and sharpened the model to help draw the eye.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Maks, I really like the bottom two. I like the style and colors of the graffiti and redcoat. The bottom one has a lot of different features. I like the intensity of the sky and the oranges & blacks hitting the water. I am not sure if it is the adjustments or her natural look, but the model's skin has a little bit of a porcelain look. It all looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anthony. I still have some editing to do but I like how the shots came out. The last one that you mentioned is touched up and I think I over did it. With the light source behind the model it was hard to get the model to be in the light. When I sharpened the image it left the model's skin very grainy and after doing a surface blur on the face and neck it was overly smooth. I have to dial it back a little to make it appear a little more natural but thank you for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impressive, Maks! The amount of work and thought involved in setting this up is notable. You have a lot to pull together when the work involves a model. I appreciate your attention to all the details concerning light, the space and composition of each image.

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete