Sunday, December 7, 2014

Maks Danilin - Poses and Lighting

In this week's shots I focused on playing with light and shadows and the way different poses created various emotions and effects.  I used techniques that emulated those of Andrzej Dragan and Yousef Karsh.  I worked with reflectors and diffusors to throw the light around, casting shadows on particular parts of the subject.  Also after studying Karsh's work and his use of positioning the subject, I played around with different poses until I found best poses for the subject and lighting.

For the first shot, I had the model hold the umbrella to diffuse light and to also add a prop that gave interest to the shot and the model.  It added a lightness to the shot, considering the model is a strong figure holding such a delicate prop.  While editing I played with curves to get the highlights and shadows right, reducing any hotspots on the face.  I also decided to darken the umbrella, where the light source is, as not to draw attention away from the face.

For this shot I had the model sit down and lean forward, looking up to draw attention  to the eyes.  I used some of Dragan's techniques with high contrast and using the dodge and burn tool around the face.  I also darkened the metal bar between the model's legs because it seemed to distract the eye.


For this shot, I decided to use overhead lighting with the model looking upwards. I decided to leave it in color because I believe it brought life to the image and also better preserved the way the light was being cast on the model.  I played with curves to get the definition of the shadows correct so that they perfectly outlined the shape of his face and body. 
 For this shot, I had the model wear his boxing gloves, which in my opinion helped to convey his strong masculine image.  I played around with the lighting and decided on placing the light source very low in front of him to create a dramatic shadow effect.  I decided to darken some of the light on the forearms because the direct light created too much of a distraction.  I also had the model look straight into the camera to create more a dramatic look.


For this last shot, I continued to play around with the posing.  I like how the light hit the model and even though his hand is somewhat awkwardly placed, it seemed to work.  I played with the levels and saturation to get the skin tone right, as well as smooth it out with surface blur.

4 comments:

  1. Amazing work, Maks...Keeping things simple is what makes the series so strong. Do you have strobes behind your umbrellas or an incandescent bulb? You model is great... very cooperative... professional all the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, researching well known photographers really helped think about different aspects of the shot. I have incandescent bulbs from a inexpensive lighting set up I recently bought. I hope to learn how to and use strobe lights in the future because it seems strobes provide more control over light, however the price for a set, even renting, is high.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are beautiful shots. Honesty, I thought this was the hardest assignment, but I think they were your best work!

      Delete
  3. Actually one can learn much more with continuous light... in this era of digital cameras with sensitive sensors, incandescent light can be the best solution... In the old days, with ISO 25, 50 or even 100 film, the light had to be so bright to get a fast enough shutter speed to get a sharp picture that the heat from the bulbs became untenable. Strobes go off at 1/10,000 sec. and freeze all motion. They are also cool when working as they are on for such a short duration.

    ReplyDelete